Probably to deflect any blame from themselves. Recently, China and Chinese people have taken a ‘whatever the US does we can do too’ approach where they accuse US / Americans of being hypocritical or arrogant or bullying other countries, then they do the exact same thing. That’s why you will never see China ever apologize for anything anymore – because the US never apologizes so why should China? So much for being better than other countries right? Just take your enemy and try to be exactly like them.
As for the conspiracy theory itself, there’s no basis, of course. There’s conspiracy theory articles floating around like this: COVID-19: Further Evidence that the Virus Originated in the US – Global Research
Here is the main part of the article that is the crux of the theory:
“It would seem the only possibility for origination is the US because only that country has the “tree trunk” of all the varieties. And it may therefore be true that the original source of the COVID-19 virus was the US military bio-warfare lab at Fort Detrick. “
Of course, there’s all so many things wrong with this statement.
- Only the US has the ‘tree trunk’ of all the varieties of coronavirus? Coronaviruses originate from animals, which could be anywhere. In the case of China, because of the wild animal trade, that is why it is so likely that it originated there – because a wild animal stacked on top of another one in a tightly confined space in a market, then eaten by humans is a good way for a virus to mutate and transmit between carriers and eventually get to humans. It doesn’t just come from a place where a lot of other coronaviruses are. That’s not how viruses work. Why did SARS originate in China and MERS originate in the Middle East if supposedly, America is the source of every virus? Or were those failed CIA operations too?
- Why the immediate jump to conclusion that it was the US and not any other Western country? Why wouldn’t American military basemen all be infected? Would that not have happened sometime in the past?
- It makes no sense for American operatives to sneak the virus into China – first of all the virus doesn’t only target ‘Chinese genes’ (what is that anyways? We’re all genetically 99% similar anyways) and it clearly infects everyone. You think Americans biochemically engineered a virus with a 2.5% mortality rate, then snuck it into China, thinking it won’t eventually get out and kill Americans too? completely ridiculous
- If Americans really wanted to sabotage their #1 biggest trading partner and shut down manufacturing of all their products (again – why would they do this??) – there’s better ways to do it – a virus that only kills the old and the weak and has great potential to spread worldwide is probably not the best way.
- Chinese government (like Xi would have said this not some low level spokesperson tweet) would have officially said something about this if there was clear evidence that USA caused this. It would have caused irreparable damage to China-US relations. Instead, China is sending out masks to countries who are in need of it – again if America bio engineers were behind it China would have retaliated against the US by now. We know from experience that China quite easily retaliates (THAAD – South Korea, Huawei CFO imprisonment – Canada, Trade War – USA). China would have definitely retaliated by now.
That’s why this conspiracy theory is completely ridiculous – there’s no logical sense in there. It just raises more questions than answers – which is how you know a theory is a conspiracy theory