My political beliefs
“Don’t you ever forget, that Republican economic policy caused the national debt to quadruple in the 12 years before I became president, and double in the 8 years after I left office.” – Bill Clinton
A lot of people at my work have been surprised that I “liked” Mitt Romney on Facebook, believing that I was somehow a typical liberal Canadian. A bit of history about my political beliefs – I’m a strongly opinionated person – I became a conservative once I started working and participating more in church activities. The strongest reasons why I am a political conservative is because I believe in fiscal conservatism, and being a Christian. Therefore the core foundations of the Republican party – supporting small business, free enterprise, personal freedom and liberties, lower taxes, a strong national defense, reducing the deficit, cutting spending, upholding strong family values – those are what I believe in.
So why do I seem like an Obama supporter? Because ironically enough, Obama’s policies come closer to these foundations than the modern Republican party does! The modern Democratic party is essentially the Republican party of old (Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower). The modern Republican party today is some extreme right wing mutation of Reagan’s policies that are too extreme for even Reagan to support if he were alive! The modern Republican party cuts taxes too much, spends too much on defense, and too intolerant of religious freedom. They added to the deficit instead of reducing it. The national debt quadrupled in the 12 years before Bill Clinton took office, and doubled again in the 8 years after Clinton left office (Thanks to Reagan and both Bushes). That’s not fiscal conservatism at all!
Which is why I’m supporting Obama this election. I liked Romney before when he was the moderate governor of MA, instead of the crazy right winger now. I’m a moderate Republican, which is kind of rare these days.
“Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.” – Luke 9:23-24
That brings me to my religious beliefs. I’m a Christian, but not strongly slanted to any denomination. What kind of Christian am I? My beliefs most closely align with Catholics and Presbyterians, but what I think is the most important is the core belief in the Bible, the scriptures, the Gospel, the Lord Jesus Christ, and adhering to the good points in the Bible. The Bible isn’t all good, but it does teach us some good things to live by, which I think is important.
A person is not kind, nice, smart, etc based on the virtue of being a Christian, but rather based on the virtue of that person’s personality, but if one takes all the good things taught by the Bible to heart, then it could enhance that person’s virtues. At least that’s my belief anyway. A lot of people say they are “Christian” but frequently commit sin in their lives, which is not being faithful. How many Christians murder? lie? cheat? steal? Probably a larger amount than you would think.
I’m gonna rant now about one of the things I dislike about overly religious, which is intolerance. I have a friend who’s currently dating a girlfriend who’s strongly believes in Adventism. So Adventism isn’t a normal Protestant belief, it’s more of a cult, similar to Scientology, Jehovah’s Witness, Church of Latter Day Saints, Church of Jesus Christ Scientist, among others.
So you wanna know how insane this church is? Let me list some things the pastor says (from my friend):
1) You aren’t allowed to watch movies, except documentaries
2) You aren’t allowed to listen to secular music, which is most of classical or modern music
3) You aren’t allowed to eat ‘unclean’ food, such as pigs, ducks and fish without scales.
4) You aren’t allowed to do anything on Saturday but pray. And Saturday is the Sabbath, not Sunday.
5) A woman named Ellen White formed Adventism and is considered their prophet. She speaks the absolute TRUTH and anything contradicting her is heresy.
6) Jesus will come back “soon” and annihilate everyone who isn’t an Adventist. There isn’t a hell in Adventism, so everyone just disappears.
7) Other religions, pagans, atheists are satanic and will be annihilated.
8) Other Christians, including Catholics are FALSE Christians (they compromise with the world) and will also be annihilated. The Pope is satanic, and so are nuns, bishops and other Catholic positions.
9) People don’t have assholes in heaven, because people don’t eat or sleep or do anything in heaven other than play harps for Jesus.
10) Even babies will be condemned to annihilation, because of “original sin”
11) An advanced civilization who were homosexuals created Dinosaurs and were wiped out in the Great Flood.
12) Jesus actually descends from the Orion Nebula when he comes back.
13) Anyone who doesn’t love Jesus will be annihilated.
14) Wearing Jewelry, crosses, makeup, etc are prohibited.
15) You cannot have sex until you get married, and you cannot even think sexual thoughts until that time. (How you figure out how to have sex when the time comes is not explained)
16) Being gay is a choice, and you will be annihilated if you are gay.
17) Drinking, Smoking, Gambling, etc are all prohibited.
18) There’s a global conspiracy by the Roman Catholic church and United Nations (NWO) to force Sunday Law (praying on Sundays) on everyone.
19) It’s ok to kill, but not murder. (Killing is god approved, murder isn’t)
20) There is no evolution, God created the world 10,000 years ago, and Modern Science and Technology is because of Satan.
21) All animals were created vegan, until Adam sinned and they all became carnivorous.
22) All US presidents except JFK were 33rd degree freemasons and Freemasons will take over the world.
I’m not making any of this up. This is actually what the church teaches. It’s insanity.
In American society, if you are a good sociable person, then you are more highly valued in society than being a smart engineer or scientist. Think about this. The athletes, actors, musicians in America are all rich and famous, while nerds, scientists, inventors, etc are all virtually ignored by the masses. Everyone knows who Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson are, but does the average person know who Dennis Ritchie was? In this society, the jocks are the ones treated with respect, rather than the nerds. And why is being nerdy or geeky considered a bad trait anyways? Being nerdy just means you are passionate about something, that you’re really into a subject. Its not a bad thing, but carries a social stigma with it. And if anything, who contributes more to society? the entertainers and athletes? or the scientists and engineers and inventors? Who causes our society to progress more, though under appreciated as they are? That’s one of the sad truths of reality, unfortunately.
Another update on my Korean studies:
Verb becoming a noun has several different ways. 보다 = To see, to watch. Seeing/Watching = 보는것 = the thing which sees. It can also be 보기. Making “seeing” the topic = 보는것은 (보는건 for short) = 보기는 (보긴 for short). Making “seeing” the subject = 보는것이 (보는게 for short). Making “seeing” the object = 보는걸 / 보길. So:
verb + 는것 / 는거 / 보기 = making verb a noun
verb + 는것은 / 는건 / 기는 / 긴 = making verb a noun and turning it into the topic
verb + 는것이 / 는게 = making verb a noun and turning it into the subject
verb + 는걸 / 보길 = making verb a noun and turning it into the object.