Good question here’s my list
- Kobe Bryant – undoubtedly the most overrated player of all time. I have a very detailed explanation as to why here A lot of fans put him #2 all time – some even put him #1 all time as the GOAT over Jordan (yes unbelievably)
- Allen Iverson – one of the worst shooters to ever be a superstar, Iverson gets most of his popularity from his ‘toughness’ and the ‘hiphop’ attitude he brought to the game
- Isiah Thomas – surprising? don’t be. Isiah gets way too much credit for leading the Bad Boy Pistons to 2 championships – but he wasn’t a great shooter, didn’t play defense as well as any of his teammates, and only led the league in assists once. Despite this, a lot of fans put him in their top 5 PGs all time. The Pistons were a great team Isiah was just one cog in their engine but because he was their leader people give Isiah mostly all the credit – Dumars/Rodman/Aguirre/Mahorn/Laimbeer/Johnson had a lot to do with their success too
- Carmelo Anthony – is he one of the greatest offensive players ever? perhaps. He is perhaps fairly rated now but most of his career he was overrated. A ball hog that only served to drag the team down, it’s no wonder that every team he’s ever been on gets worse with him playing
- Kyrie Irving – Kyrie is a top 25 PG don’t get me wrong – but some fans consistently put him as one of the top 3 PGs in the game when really he is most definitely not better than Curry, CP3 or Dame. Or Westbrook for that matter.
What do the players I cite all have in common? they were all “flashy” players (also called the ‘eye test’ by ignorant fans to justify their high ranking i.e you don’t know how great __ is because you never saw him play! the eye test you fool!). Flashy players tend to be overrated because of the excitement they bring on court leads fans to believe that they are better than they actually are. This is the reason why people think Kobe is better than Duncan. He’s not. But because he played in a bigger market, had ‘flashier’/’skilled’ moves, he gets ranked higher.
People also tend to overrate players for ‘toughness’ this is not related to any stat or award – but I guess we want our players to be like gladiators or something they gotta tough out any injury! any player who dares try to limp off the court and get medical attention is a pussy! this is an argument used by male fans often insecure about their masculinity so they project it onto NBA players